Something New: Making Hemp Milk

January 30, 2011

The nutritional profile of hemp milk is pretty amazing. Check out Dr. Weil’s analysis here. I’ve tried buying it at Trader Joe’s, but their version has so much added sugar. So, I decided it was time to utilize my Vita-Mix to it’s fullest potential and try making my own!

I bought some organic hemp seeds through the amazing website Vita-Cost (if follow this link, we each get $10 off our next order). I bought the 3-pound bag(!):

The process could not be simpler. Add 1/4 cup of hemp seeds to 4 cups of cold, filtered water. You can use room temperature water but it will get warm in the blender.

Blend on high for 1 minute and get this lovely frothy milk:

No need to strain it either!

I’ve been using this milk in place of soy for my green smoothies. I’ve heard you can add a date to sweeten it and lecithin to keep it blended. Check out this site for another recipe.

In the same theme of trying something new, I wore these cool new kicks yesterday:

And discovered something new at the farmers’ market!

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend. Let me know if you try something new! :)

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 12, 2011 at 1:38 am

you made hemp milk!!! and it looks a million times better than the packaged stuff that i find is really a yucky grey/green/brown color! yours is actually WHITE! yumssss <3

Carrie February 12, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Hi Kelsey, thanks for the comment. You’re the first person to comment on my new site! xoxoxo! :)

Jennifer B. February 13, 2011 at 2:33 am

So jealous of the vitamix! I’ve yet to try hemp milk. We may have to give it a go…is that a good enough reason to buy a Vitamix?

Carrie February 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Hi Jennifer, thanks for the comment. Making hemp milk in the Vita-Mix is pretty cool but the reason to buy one is so you can make green smoothies, they are the bomb! :)

Chad @ thebreakupnote April 30, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I’m so glad I saw this. I want to try it now. I bet making it yourself is a lot more cost friendly than buying it, huh?

Gerri November 16, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I am new to hemp. I bought whole unshelled seeds. I have a VitaMix. can you make hemp milk with the unshelled seeds?

Carrie November 16, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Hi Gerri, I just did a little research and it looks like you can, in fact, make hemp milk using unshelled seeds! I personally buy the shelled seeds but it looks like there is even more nutrition in the unhealed seeds so good job. :) You might need to strain the milk, though, if the texture is not smooth enough for your liking. Good luck!

Me April 23, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Hi, I’ve been thinking about those Vitamixes, and I’d also like to make my own hemp milk. How hot does the milk get from the VM? I’d be a little nervous it would overheat the fragile oils in there?

Carrie April 24, 2013 at 11:19 am

The Vitamix only heats up liquids when it runs for at least 5 minutes. The hemp milk can be made in about 20 seconds, so no worries. :)

Laura June 3, 2013 at 1:26 pm

This looks so easy. I’m excited to try it. Do you know how long the hemp milk stays good in the fridge?