Making Steel-Cut Oats

February 17, 2011

Am I insulting your intelligence by doing a post on making oatmeal? I hope not. As someone whose cooking expertise was limited to Pasta-roni until I was in my late 20s, I don’t make any assumptions on what people know how and do not know how to make. Also, I think sometimes it’s good to discuss the basics.

Making oatmeal is about as basic as it gets. The point is that: 1. oatmeal is an excellent breakfast food, 2. you can make it ahead of time and just re-heat and serve, and 3. it’s a wonderful option to traditional breakfast boxed cereals that are heavily processed and contain all kinds of ingredients you don’t want in your lovely, pristine body.

I use steel-cut oats and I buy them in the bulk bin at my natural foods store:

One cup uncooked will result in about 4 large servings. Begin by boiling 4 cups of water:

After water begins to boil, slowly pour in your oats and stir:

Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes until oats have thickened. At the very end of cooking, I like to add a tablespoon of ground flaxmeal and a teaspoon or two of ground cinnamon:

Stir it all together and you’ve got it made (no pun intended):

At this point, you can either eat it or stick it in the fridge for later. When re-heating, pour some frozen berries into a bowl, add the chilled oats on top and microwave for 2 minutes. I like to add a dollop of almond butter or some chopped nuts on top for extra texture and oomph to keep me full.

There’s still a few more hours to enter the Color Me Vegan cookbook giveaway! I’ll announce the winner tomorrow. Good luck!

Robyn :) February 18, 2011 at 2:32 am

I am more of an instant oatmeal person (I like it plain, though, sweetened with agave syrup or honey and fruit added), but if I can make these steel cut ones up ahead of time and refrigerate then that is equally convenient :) Especially reheating it with frozen fruit!

Will this make a thick oatmeal? I like my oatmeal thick, not soupy.

Carrie February 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Hi Robyn! Yes, this will definitely make a thick oatmeal. It’s really yummy! :)

Lori February 19, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Want a steel cut trick? I put the steel cut oats in some hot water the night before to the cooking ratio that I would use. Then the next morning, dump the soaked oats with the liquid into the pot and you can cut the cook time down to about 10 minutes!

Carrie February 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Ohhh, great tip Lori!

Ileen July 21, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I boil the water in a pan, add the steel-cut oats, cover, turn the burner off and let stand until morning. Add seasoning or sweetener and heat–no “cooking” and stirring.

Carrie July 23, 2011 at 2:26 am

Sounds like a great way to save energy! Unfortunately, my extensive food safety training would keep me from letting food sit in the “danger zone” for more than 4 hours. I’m sure it’s safe but I probably couldn’t live with myself if I got sick from doing it that way. Thanks for the comment though! :)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe March 2, 2011 at 2:23 am

Oh how I love oats, I think I could eat them for all meals of the day :) And now I’m lovin chia seeds in them. Another thing I do is buy the little Gerber (baby food) dehydrated food pieces and add them to my oatmeal. Delish!