Today is the first day of Vegan MoFo 2011, the Vegan Month of Food! The idea for this event is to get as many bloggers as possible posting vegan recipes and meal ideas during the entire month of October.
For my first post, I want to share this Anti-Cancer Breakfast Smoothie. It’s pretty much an evolution of my Energizing Green Smoothie, but with a special ingredient:
Frozen broccoli florets!
Studies show that there are compounds in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli that fight cancer. How cool is that? However, as far as we know, these compounds are only present in raw cruciferous, not cooked. So, I chose to add these raw, frozen florets to my green smoothie. I can’t even taste them (I usually can’t stand the smell or taste of broccoli) and they actually thicken the overall smoothie.
Here is the recipe:
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup frozen or fresh pomegranate arils
- 4 cups raw kale
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- ½ cup frozen raw broccoli florets
- juice of one lime
- Combine hemp seeds and water in a high-speed blender and process on high for 15 seconds. Next, add the banana, frozen strawberries, and pomegranate arils and blend on high again. Lastly, add the greens, cocoa powder, flax meal, ground chia seeds, broccoli, and lime juice and blend one last time until smooth. Serve immediately.
Doesn’t this just scream “eat me, I’m healthy!”?
I’m still on the road from my trip to San Francisco, but I’ll be back soon with photos and stories of my adventures.
Do you drink green smoothies and do you have any secret ingredients you’d like to share?
And, if you have an iPhone or iPad, be sure to download my recipe app, Vegan Delish, featuring over 150 healthy, whole food recipes.