Vegan Mofo #9: High-Protein Tofu Salad Dressing

October 19, 2011

I’m the last person to worry about not getting enough protein on a vegan diet, but lately I’ve been wanting a salad dressing more satiating and filling than the Creamy Avocado Dressing I usually make. I turned to the box of silken tofu sitting in my pantry that I’ve never known what to do with. I used the Mori-Nu organic brand:

The only other ingredients I used were nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar and garlic. I blended it in my Vita-Mix and got this:

It was creamy, flavorful and a wonderful consistency to use for salad dressing:

Besides being delicious, my lunchtime salad really held me over more than usual. Perhaps it’s because I’ve been working out more, but I think I needed the extra protein punch. I also added another spoonful of beans to help on this front.

Thanks for everyone’s comments on my last post about Changing My Health Destiny. Coincidentally, my dad got really sick again this past weekend, but he’s back home now. I’m reminded of how important quality of life is and that’s what I want to preserve as I get older.

Speaking of older, today is my birthday! I’m officially in my late-30s. Wow. Sometimes it feels funny being this age and just figuring out what I want to do with my life, but I’m grateful that 1. I have figured it out (nutrition and wellness) and 2. I have the support of my husband to follow my passion. I am a lucky girl old lady.

To celebrate, I ordered a handmade purse from the incredibly talented Kittee Berns. I first met Kittee at Vide Vegan Con in August and was struck by her artistic talent. She is not only a gifted writer, but she is a fabulous sewer. I have such admiration for talent like hers.

Here is the super cool purse she made me:

The front flap.

That's the pin I got at the World Veg Fest in San Francisco.

Love the special touches she added.

I consider myself a creative person, but I can’t actually make anything except, well, yummy food and blog posts. :)

Tomorrow I’m doing a giveaway for some algae-derived DHA so please come back to enter. I’m a little behind on my Vegan Mofo posts, but not bad considering this is my first year. Kudos to those who are blogging daily. See you soon!

Lisa October 20, 2011 at 10:25 am

Happy Birthday Carrie! I’m almost to my mid-thirties, and I go back and forth from feeling like, wow, I have done nothing with my life that I thought I would…to how awesome that I get to do exactly what I’m passionate about!
Hope your birthday was fab!

Carrie October 20, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Thanks Lisa! I had a great day and I love that you are also doing what you’re passionate about. Life is too short not to!

JL goes Vegan October 20, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Happy birthday!

I love your recipe dressing and cannot wait to try it1 I love a dense, hearty salad1

Carrie October 20, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Hi JL! Thanks, it’s a good one. :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 20, 2011 at 2:07 pm

What a great idea – I love the idea of amping up the protein in a salad with the dressing. I’ll definitely have to try this one!

Carrie October 20, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Hi Heather, let me know if you try it, it’s really good! :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I made this dressing on Friday night – enjoyed it with veggies with dinner. We also served it at our Halloween party last night and it went faster than any other dip we had out – including several requests for the recipe. Awesome! :)

stefanie October 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Happy birthday! That is a cute purse.

Carrie October 20, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Thanks Stefanie!

Rebecca October 21, 2011 at 3:24 am

Happy Birthday! You look marvelous – I hope you had fun! Your salad dressing sounds yummy – what are the benefits of nutritional yeast? Working out more? I’m jealous – got a stomach virus that knocked me for a loop. Hoping to go back to the gym soon.

Carrie October 21, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Thanks Rebecca! Nutritional yeast is one of those weird vegan things that I haven’t yet decided if I love or not. It’s rich in vitamin B12 and some people say it tastes like parmesan cheese. It’s all natural and has no sodium. I have a bottle of it that I’m trying to figure out how to use. :)

kittee October 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Happy Birthday, Carrie!
I hope you had a wonderful day.
xo
kittee

Carrie October 24, 2011 at 2:07 am

Thanks Kittee! Hugs, Carrie

Jane May 27, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Hi Carrie. I just started learning about Fuhrman’s take on health. It’s the best time of year to do this and I just joined a CSA! I am not a vegan (I can hear you saying ‘yet”) but I want to know why I would use nutritional yeast otherwise. I will enjoy reading more once I figure out how to see your latest stuff.
Jane

Carrie May 27, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Thanks Jane! Loved your comment and that you just joined a CSA!

Mindy April 12, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Hey thanks for the great recipes and website! I’ve been looking for some no oil dressings and this one looks like what I’m looking for.