Cold Quinoa Salad for Warm Days

July 11, 2012

For those of you suffering in the heat, I have a cold salad that is refreshing and nutritious. It’s a new spin on my Get Your Veggies Quinoa Salad that I have made previously. For those of us at the beach, we’re not exactly suffering with heat, it’s actually the opposite effect in that it often gets cold along the coast in California when the hot air inland draws the clouds in.

So you can see for yourself, here’s a photo of my morning beach walk:

Nonetheless, I feel for everyone sweating in those hot temps, so I decided to make this cold salad. I started off this salad with one cup of quinoa that I cooked on the stovetop and let cool in the fridge:

I then gathered my vegetables to chop, including celery, zucchini, bell peppers, mint and the juice of two lemons (don’t mind the nectarines, those were for dessert). I also used about 1/4 of a red onion (unpictured):

You literally just chop what you have and throw it in:

I also lightly toasted about 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds:

I had an avocado and a new, hemp-based dressing that I used to top off the salad:

The dressing recipe is:

I’ve been using this dressing on everything from green salads to this quinoa salad to steamed vegetables. It keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days so it’s very convenient, too.

What else is convenient that most days along the beach, the sun does appear in the late afternoons. For my afternoon walk, the view then transforms into this:

What is keeping you busy these days? I finished my MPH summer course and I’m taking the midterm for my RD summer course today (wish me luck!). I also shot another video that I hope to post on Friday or Saturday. This video will go along with the one I posted last week on how to assemble a masticating juicer. This time, you’ll see the process of how the juice gets made!

Have a great rest of your week and stay cool!

This post was submitted to Gluten-Free Fridays.

kalli July 11, 2012 at 7:50 am

just printed your recipe carrie…..need to try that sauce! looks like cambria’s walk way in the pic!

Carrie July 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Cool, Kalli, let me know how you like it! You were close, the walkway is in Pismo. :)

Robyn :) July 11, 2012 at 11:53 am

That looks tasty!!

What is keeping me busy? House hunting, clutterbusting/cleaning and organizing, and exercising. I go back to work in just over a month :)

Katherine @ Green Thickies July 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thanks for your last few posts. I’ve saved all of the recipes in my file of recipes I want to make in the future.

With this gorgeous beach on your doorstep why would you want to move away from that? I live right next to the coast now which I absolutely love. It’s so beautiful here but unfortunately this year it has been grey and rained pretty much the whole year so I’ve not seen anything of the scenery.
I didn’t realise there were parts of California that weren’t so hot.

Carrie July 11, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Hi Katherine! Right, it seems crazy to move away from the beach, it is so beautiful. But, I’m lucky in that I’m moving to another beautiful part of California, near Palm Springs. Alan and I will be much closer to family and friends there plus the desert has its own magic. I can’t complain too much, we will be only 2 hours away from San Diego which is much further south on the coast than we are now. Where we live currently IS really nice, but it is pretty cold year-round and we are yearning for more warmth and a change. I think I will live at or near the beach again someday. :)

Katherine @ Green Thickies July 12, 2012 at 3:31 am

That does sound lovely. I can see why you want to move. I know what you mean about craving warmth. Weather in the UK is very depressing, not surprised so many emigrate! Brrrrrr

Angela July 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I just started my intensive five week summer course, so that is definitely going to keep me busy when I’m not working. Best of luck on your midterm. I love quinoa, so I’m sure I’m going to love this recipe! Thanks!

Miss Rachel July 11, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Quinoa is such a versatile grain; making a salad with it is a great idea, especially for lunch. Very pretty coast pictures. I didn’t know that the California coast gets cold when the inland is hot. You have a great rest of your week too!

Shelby @ Everyday Vegan Girl July 11, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I absolutely love the coast in the summertime…overcast and cool! I lived near Santa Cruz for a year and loved it! You know us valley people are just dying in the heat when you have that kind of weather…it was 105 where I live today! I’m such a beach girl and would love to be able to live near the ocean again.

Can you sub any other seed for the hemp seeds in your dressings….maybe chia or even poppy? I seem to have every other seed known to man in my pantry except for hemp!

Meghan August 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm

THank you so much for sharing this recipe on our Gluten Free Fridays!! I do this all the time- just throw everything we have left in a quinoa salad, but I love that you do yours cold-most of the time ours is served hot. Thanks for the idea, and for coming over to visit. So Glad to have found your blog.