Desert Oasis & Healthy Vegan Recipes

February 8, 2013

Yay, it’s Friday!!! I had a great week, mainly because I’m back to my full energy and spunkiness level that I haven’t felt since late November due to all this craziness. It probably helps that we had really nice weather in Southern California this past week, too, and I went for an awesome hike on Wednesday with my blogging hiking buddy, Deb:

Hiking buddies, Deb and Carrie

This was also the longest hike I’ve ever done, we went for about 2.5 hours round trip on moderate to steep terrain and it was so much fun between the conversation and the incredible views. I re-fueled halfway with a Vega sport bar. I rarely, rarely eat packaged foods like that, but it absolutely hit the spot. Next time, I might try making my own trail mix with nuts and dried fruit. I also brought water which was essential in the sun. We went as far as the “oasis” that locals had told us about, which really only meant that there were some sickly-looking palm trees bunched together…not exactly what I had imagined, but oh well:

Winter hiking in Palm Springs.

As always, change is in the air. There is supposedly rain coming this weekend and Alan and I are starting to wind down our winter desert getaway and re-locate back to the coast. I plan to make the most of it over the next week or so and hope to do at least two more desert hikes, plus another blogger meet-up this weekend. Don’t you just love how blogging and the internet introduces us to amazing, like-minded people? I love it and I love you! :)

Friday calls for another edition of Healthy Vegan Fridays, the recipe link-up party. Each week, Gabby, Katherine and I host this recipe exchange for whole food, plant-based recipes. Then, the following Friday, we feature the most popular recipes plus our personal favorites. This week’s most clicked-upon submissions were these:

1. Green Smoothies and Juices: Good or Bad? from Chasity @ My Healthy Chef

Green Smoothies from My Healthy Chef

2. Raw Lemon Strawberry Cheesecake from Vicky @ Sweet & Healthy Living

Raw Lemon Strawberry Cheesecake from Sweet & Healthy Living

3. Addictive Peanut Butter Granola from Lauren @ Oatmeal with a Fork:

Peanut Butter Granola from Oatmeal with a Fork

Such interesting, seductive posts and recipes and I thank everyone who participated. My favorites were these:

1. Best Slow-Cooker RecipeSlow Cooker Black Bean Soup with Grilled Polenta Cakes from Will Work for Eskimo Kisses:

Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup from Will Work for Eskimo Kisses

2. Most Beautiful SaladRoasted Beet and Sweet Potato Salad from Almonds & Avocados:

Roasted Beet and Sweet Potato Salad from Almonds & Avocados

3. Best Comfort Food - Tortilla Party Bowl from Lifeologia:

Tortilla Party Bowl from Lifeologia

If you want to join the fun, please read the submission guidelines for joining Healthy Vegan Fridays and follow the link at the bottom of this post. I’m thinking at some point in the future, it might be fun to do themes for each week?

You know how I keep mentioning my Facebook page and my goal to reach 2,000 likes? It’s getting closer…the current count is 1,918 and I’m going to do my first prize to celebrate on Monday with one of my favorite beauty items that is so natural and yummy-smelling that it’s practically edible! Click here for a hint…

See ya then!

Nikki @ Eat To The Beet February 8, 2013 at 8:27 am

I absolutely love seeing the gorgeous photos of your hikes. They make me want to throw on my running shoes and get outside. So, thanks for the healthy does of inspiration :)

So many beautiful HVF entries already!

Vicky February 8, 2013 at 8:28 am

Hi Carrie

Wow, such a great selection of recipes this week! Have a great weekend!

Vicky x

Carrie February 10, 2013 at 6:34 am

Thanks, Vicky! You have a good weekend, too. :)

Kymm February 8, 2013 at 11:16 am

Thank you so much for featuring my black bean soup recipe, I feel honored. I am fairly new to your blog and have been enjoying it immensely. Have a great weekend!

Carrie February 10, 2013 at 6:35 am

You’re welcome, Kymm. Thanks for posting such a gorgeous recipe! :)

Angie February 8, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Beautiful hike! Is that Joshua Tree?

Carrie February 10, 2013 at 6:36 am

Close, Angie! This hike is in Palm Desert. I have never been to Joshua Tree, but I really want to go! I’ve heard there is great hiking there, too.

Angie February 10, 2013 at 11:52 am

It’s one of my favorite places to hike. It is so serene and gorgeous.

Carrie February 10, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Thanks, Angie. I need to check it out!!!

Angela February 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I can sense the spunkiness, Carrie ;)
Love browsing these healthy, vegan recipes. Hope you have a fun, energetic weekend!

Carrie February 10, 2013 at 6:37 am

Thanks, Angela! Hope you’re feeling spunky, too. :)

Katherine @ Green Thickies February 9, 2013 at 12:12 am

Wow, you live in such a stunning place! How great you can get such lovely weather in winter there. So you are moving back to the coast? I visited the Californian coast once and it was stunning! I’m so glad you’ve got your energy back. I know the feeling as for most of my pregnancy so far I’ve been exhausted. When you’re used to feeling energised all day it’s hard to function normally. I used to love hiking too. I used to go for all day hikes but think it will be a while before I’m doing that again!

Carrie February 10, 2013 at 6:39 am

Thanks, Katherine! I am lucky enough to live in two places, mainly at the beach but part-time in the desert. My husband and I go back and forth. I bet you have some amazing hikes in Scotland…I hope to visit someday!!! :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 9, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Super fun indeed! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow :-)

Carrie February 10, 2013 at 6:40 am

Yes! And, I’m taking Alan to the trail this morning!

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) February 10, 2013 at 4:51 am

These desserts look fabulous! I especially want to make the cheesecake…yum!

I love hiking. Sadly, I don’t get out enough to do it, but when I do, I immediately melt ride into hiking mode. New Hampshire has a ton of great hiking spots and my dad and I plan at least two major hikes every year. Love it! :D

The pictures are great! And you’re making me crave sunshine right now!!! :D

Carrie February 10, 2013 at 6:41 am

Feel free to enjoy the sunshine vicariously in my pictures, Sarah! Did you get a lot of snow with this last storm? I bet spring and summers in NH are gorgeous, I hope to visit that part of the country someday! :)

Lori February 10, 2013 at 9:26 am

Hi Carrie,
I live in Hawaii and love hiking too. A group of moms and I try to go every week. I just stumbled on your blog and love it. Thanks for the inspiration! Lori

Carrie February 10, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Lori! :)

Ella @ Lifeologia February 11, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Oh dear, Wow!! What a great place to live!
I am so jealous – this is like a movie set! Super cool and you should BE happy – there are things like Winters out there – not fun when they last for 6 months! :) Lol

ps. Thank YOU so much for featuring my Tortilla Party Bowl on your roundup – I was happy to be part of the party ;) http://www.lifeologia.com/tortilla-party-bowl-healthy-gluten-free-vegan-recipe/

xoxo
Ella

Lean Life February 19, 2013 at 3:06 am

I always liked to try a vegan recipe for my diet. Especially I enjoyed the the salad. Thanks for sharing such a healthy recipe. Keep posting.