Happy Friday to you, I hope you had a productive week.
Healthy Vegan Challenge Update:
Today is the fifth day of starting the Healthy Vegan Challenge and we now have 200 people as part of the Facebook group for this event. The support and encouragement within the group is fantastic and I wouldn’t be exaggerating by saying that it feels like a family where we are all working toward the same goal. I love that!
I surprised myself this week by not feeling any ill-effects of not consuming cacao and sweeteners (you can see my list of goals in this post). I’ve increased my fat intake to help me get through any sugar cravings (a tip I once heard from Dr. Fuhrman), and my whole life seems to have been touched by an increased mindfulness that now extends beyond just what I am eating. I took better care of myself this week than I have since before my surgery, and my attitude and energy are better because of it.
Here’s a little gallery of images of some of the meals I ate this week. You can see that I am hardly deprived, but instead am enjoying tons of whole foods:
Yay for vegetables!
Roasted Garlic Hummus Recipe:
You can see in the bottom left picture above that I had some hummus with a salad for lunch yesterday. This was a super easy recipe that I made using roasted garlic. To make the garlic, you just cut off the top of the bulb, wrap it in foil and bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes. You’ll end up with fragrant, sweet garlic that is fantastic for salad dressings or bean dips like my hummus:
I used my food processor to blend chickpeas, roasted garlic, lemon juice, tahini and pepper:
Here’s the printable recipe:
- 2 cups cooked or canned garbanzo beans
- 8 cloves roasted garlic (see instructions below)
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted tahini
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To make roasted garlic, use a sharp knife to slice off the top ½″ of a garlic bulb, exposing the cloves. Wrap loosely in foil and bake in a 400° F oven for 30 minutes or until fragrant. Set garlic aside to cool.
- Combine chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, and ground pepper in a food processor and process until combined, leaving a slightly chunky texture.
Healthy Vegan Fridays:
I’ll be submitting my hummus recipe to this week’s Healthy Vegan Friday link-up party (to add your recipe, just scroll to the end of the thumbnails on this post). The most popular submissions from last week as measured by your clicks were these:
1. Banoffee Pie from Erin @ Sift, Stir & Savour:
2. Vegan Quinoa Sushi from Devin @ Nom Yum & Free:
3. Nutella, Banana and Brownie Parfait from Rachel @ Almonds & Avocados:
My favorite submissions:
1. Healthiest Smoothie Recipe - That Green Kale Shake from The Jensen Journal:
2. Easiest Healthy Soup – Vegetable Quinoa Soup from the Vegetarian Mamma:
3. Easy & Healthy Topping – Anna’s Apple Compote from Your Healthy Place:
What spectacular recipes! I hope you are inspired as I am.
Book Review & Giveaway:
Lastly, please head on over to Our Hen House website to read my review of a fabulous new book on vegan cooking and living by the “Meatless Monday” columnist to The Huffington Post, Ellen Kanner. I absolutely loved reading this book and there is a giveaway going on to win a copy of the book.
Have a happy, healthy weekend and I’ll see you back here on Monday!