My Minimalist Photo Food Journal and Day in the Life

May 8, 2013

Good morning! I hope your week is going well so far.

What I Ate Wednesday & Day in the Life:

Today I’m going to experiment with something different, a minimalist “What I Ate Wednesday” combined with a Day in the Life-feel. Note: the photo captions contain more information.

Here goes:

5:30 a.m. Wake-up. Feed kitties, clean litter box, meditate, and work:

Desert sunrise.

7 a.m. Breakfast:

Energizing Green Smoothie for breakfast.

9 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Hike:

Desert hiking collage.

12 p.m. Lunch:

Lunch salad.

+ apple (unpictured) and tea:

Red rooibos tea with soy milk.

1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Conference call and work.

4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Errands, feed kitties, shower.

5:30 – 6:30 Dinner:

Sun Dried Tomato and Cashew Sauce. Cauliflower that I blanched for dinner. Blanched cauliflower topped with cashew sauce and onions for dinner. Fresh cherries from the farmers' market for dessert.

7 p.m. – 8 p.m. Read:

One of my favorite books from childhood.

8 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. Watch an episode of Wallander (the Swedish version) on Netflix.

9:30 p.m. Lights out.

Conclusion:

Do you like the format of this post? Let me know in the comments.

E.L. Konigsburg, the author of “From the Mixed-Up Files” passed away recently (you can read about it here). My childhood best friend, Megan, alerted me to this fact which prompted me to re-discover the book.

I think most of what we need to know in life can be found in classics like this one.

I’d love to hear your what your favorite books from your childhood were.

Have a wonderful rest of your week and I’ll see you back here on Friday.

Maggie May 8, 2013 at 6:19 am

That book, in fact, was a major favorite of mine. Her passing was a sad, sad day. Warms my heart that you’re reading her book!

I read voraciously as a child but always came back to Ella Enchanted. I loved how tough she was.

Carrie May 9, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I loved to read as a child, too, Maggie. I don’t know how I got so far away from it as an adult which is one reason why I’m re-visiting my old favorites. It is inspiring me to start reading again (outside of the textbook reading I do). I never read of the Ella Enchanted books, I will have to check them out! :)

Amy Height May 8, 2013 at 6:58 am

Carrie, this post is awesome – what a succinct look at a regular ole’ uplifting
Wednesday in your world!

I particularly appreciate that you make the distinction between ‘vegan’ and ‘healthy vegan’… as we all know, you can eat Oreos all day long and still be vegan (but the health factor would be seriously lacking, hey?) This is a great picture of how you can find balance, variety, and energy through food to allow you to keep up the busy schedule you do! Kudos.

I’d be curious to know about just what you did with that cauliflower… it looks amazing!

Carrie May 9, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Thanks, Amy! I’m glad you enjoyed the post. I blanched my cauliflower and served it with a cashew sauce. The texture is amazing that way. I was inspired by this video: http://toyourhealthnutrition.blogspot.com/2011/05/chef-and-dietitian-episode-20.html

Susan May 8, 2013 at 7:09 am

What a nice day you seem to have had :)

Kelly May 8, 2013 at 9:57 am

I just found your blog. I love, love, love that book!

Jessica May 8, 2013 at 11:33 am

I really liked this new style! Gives me great ideas for my daily routines. Would love to see more like this. Thank you

Candyce May 8, 2013 at 12:14 pm

That is a favorite book of mine as well! I also remember rereading The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle, The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh, Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter, all of the Anne of Green Gables books by L.M. Montgomery, anything by Roald Dahl or Jane Austen, and one that is still a favorite today: I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I am really looking forward to reading these titles with my daughter, but we’re at the Charlotte’s Web stage right now :)

Carrie May 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thanks for the awesome suggestions, Candyce! A Wrinkle in Time is one of my cherished favorites (although I never really understood it completely?) and might put that one on the list next. Oh, and Harriet the Spy was in the top 5. :)

Candyce May 13, 2013 at 3:58 pm

My daughter and I are only a couple of chapters into the book, and I’m realizing that I didn’t–and still don’t–understand it, but I love that it has a strong female lead character. I’m so glad that there are books like it out there for kids!

Angie May 8, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I like the format, I am always curious to peek inside the lives of others and see how they balance it all.
My favorite books from my childhood were the Baby-sitters Club series!

Carrie May 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I looooved the Baby-sitters Club, too, Angie!!!

diana@veggienextdoor May 8, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Format is great! Would also love a sentence for each meal of what’s in it – it looks amazing but its hard to figure out what all the amazingness is :-)

Carrie May 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Awwww, thanks for the input, Diana! My husband suggested the same thing. Will do! :)

luminousvegans May 8, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Looks like a fabulous day. I am super jealous of the mid-morning hike! :-)

Corey May 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Lol, I’d like to know where I sign up for work from 1:00 – 3:30. :)

Carrie May 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I know, right? I do have a morning shift, though, generally from 5-7 a.m. :)

Rebecca M May 8, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I love the format! I always like a look into my friends’ daily lives. I would request that if any of the recipes you make are similar to those that you’ve already posted, that you include a link to that. I was especially interested in your dinner, as well as the sauce on your lunch! :)

kimmythevegan May 8, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Sounds like a pretty great day. Your lunch looks so tasty Carrie!
And wow – what a beautiful way to start the day with the sunrise. Just wow =)
I quite love the format of the post. And your pictures look amazing.
I haven’t read that book, I’ll have to check it out. One of my favourite books as a child was anything by Roald Dahl.

bitt May 8, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I loved that book. For awhile I was trying to read all the newburys. Maybe I’ll get back to it.

Jodi@PurelyNourished May 9, 2013 at 4:34 am

Hi Carrie,
I really enjoyed this post. Like the others though, I’d love to learn more about what was in your meals. I also enjoy the Wallander shows but did not know there was a non American/BBC version. I can’t wait to look those up! Also the book looks like some thing I’d enjoy as well. Thanks for the tip.
I’d love to know where you are hiking. I’m trying to find a good place to do that around here.
Look forward to more.
Jodi

Cindy May 9, 2013 at 7:51 am

I loved that book as a child – I remember feeling that I was on the adventure with them.

Joan Waly-Schultz May 9, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Hi Carrie! I found your blog about a month ago. I have been soooo lost, having to go on a fat-free vegan diet for health reasons. I didn’t know how to start, how I would ever be able to continue it for any length of time, and thought I would hate every minute. Well………..I really enjoy it, and part of the reason is you. This blog is amazing..YOU are amazing. I feel like I have someone to go through my struggle with, and you inspire me. Your recipes are wonderful and I just wanted to say thank-you for being out there for me (and the rest of the world :)

Carrie May 10, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Wow, thank you for this really nice comment, Joan. I can’t tell you how much it means to me. I find that I get as much inspiration from my readers through the comments as you get from me, so thank YOU! :)

Amy Height May 9, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Fabulous! Thank you!

Pam May 9, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Now I’m curious to check that book out :)

I like the post but I find myself wanting more info, especially on the food – what IS some of that? What’s the final product with the cauliflower and sundried tomato? Questions!! :)

Carrie May 10, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for the input, Pam. My husband also suggested I give more description on the photos. I made a cashew sauce with sundried tomatoes that I put on the blanched cauliflower. :)

Merrill R. May 10, 2013 at 7:27 am

Thats so sad about E.L. Konigsburg. The Mixed Up Files was definitely one of my favorites as a kid, but The Giver by Lois Lowry was my absolute favorite. It made such a big impression on me that I still vividly remember reading it even though it was years and years ago now.

Love the minimalist blog posting as well. You take amazing pictures. Feel like I could reach into the screen and grab one of those cherries. yum!

Carrie May 10, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Merrill, AND for the book recommendation. I have not heard of that one! :)

Tiara Askew May 13, 2013 at 7:03 am

Love the format and love your routine – i do have a question, though. Are you following the Dr. Fuhrman plan? If so, I’m wondering where the rest of the food is – when I started on his plan, I bought a food scale since the whole one pound of raw and one pound of cooked veg was pretty daunting. My lunch salads need a large entree container and it all barely fits! Your salads look so petite and ladylike – but what I’m wondering is if you feel you’re getting all the micro nutrients required or if you’re actually eating much bigger portions.

Carrie May 13, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Hi Tiara! Great question. Yes, I do follow Dr. Fuhrman’s plan. I think my salads look smaller than they actually are because I chop my lettuce so it shrinks down. Also, my morning green smoothie includes at least 2 servings of raw greens. Lastly, I think body weight comes into play. My husband is about 25 pounds bigger than me so his portions are quite a bit larger. I’m pretty near my goal weight so I require a lot less food than I used to. :)

Andrea May 16, 2013 at 5:41 pm

All of Madeliene L’engle, Louisa May Alcott and LMMontgomery. Nancy Drew, Harriet the Spy, Alfred Hitchcock and the three Investigators, Lord of the Rings, the Mrs Piggle Wiggle books, Pippi Longstockings. (Can you tell I liked series?)

Carrie May 16, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Ohhhh, great picks! Wow, you read Alfred Hitchcock as a kid? I am re-reading A Wrinkle in Time right now and I think I might finally be understanding it! I will check out her other books, too, I think I tried The Wind in the Door but I didn’t get that one either the first time around. :)

Andrea May 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Try her series about the Austin family – first one was Meet the Austin’s They are more accessible and later in the series there is crossover with the Murray family series. And the Hitchcock wasn’t scary – it was like the Hardy boys. I can barely do Hitchcock nw ! (Except for his comedies of course :)

Carrie May 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Ohhhh, good suggestion Andrea. I had totally forgotten about the Austin family series. I’ll be putting that on my list next. Thanks! :)

gina June 1, 2013 at 7:03 am

I strongly second “The Giver” by Lois Lowry and anything by Roald Dahl. I’ve never read “From the Mixed Up Files.” I can’t wait. Thanks! :)