Virtual Vegan Potluck: Strawberry & Vanilla Bean “Nice” Cream

May 10, 2013

Hi there and welcome to the Virtual Vegan Potluck! Is it time for dessert yet? I hope so because I brought this Strawberry & Vanilla Bean “Nice” Cream and it’s starting to melt already!

IMG_6926

As I mentioned in yesterday’s blog update seen here, I’m doing this special post today as part of the Virtual Vegan Potluck. This is my first time participating and I’m super excited!

vvpLOGO

Okay, so I suppose you want to know how I made my vegan ice cream, right? You do need an ice cream maker, I use the Cuisinart version that I got at my bridal shower nearly ten years ago <—-(wow, am I really that old?).

IMG_6920

There are many ways to make a vegan ice cream base, but my favorite is using a can of coconut milk blended with with whatever sweetener and flavor you want. I also use unsweetened soy milk for the creaminess. Also, do you like that I call it “nice” cream? I think that is appropriate for a compassionate, dairy-free treat such as this one. I highly recommend serving it for Mother’s Day.

Here’s the recipe for this incredible Strawberry & Vanilla Bean version, I hope you enjoy it!

Ideally, you would freeze this an additional 1-2 hours after it’s done in the ice cream maker so it gets really firm. Then, about 30 minutes before serving, take it out of the freezer so it is then scoopable.

Enough talking, let’s eat!!!

IMG_6922

To visit the blog that precedes mine in the Potluck, click here!
To visit the blog that follows mine in the Potluck, click here!
To start at the beginning of the Potluck, click here!

Happy (virtual) eating and I’ll see ‘ya back here on Monday. :)

veganmiam May 10, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Hi Carrie!

I would love to have some of your vegan strawberry vanilla bean “nice” cream! I love that name! Which brand do you use for the coconut milk? Is it okay to use So Delicious Dairy-Free coconut milk?

Happy Virtual Vegan Potluck 3.0 Day x

♡ rika, vegan miam
★ we travel + eat vegan blog ★

Carrie May 11, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Thanks, Rika! I looooooove your blog. I use the Nature’s Forest organic coconut milk; you can use any brand, just make sure to use the full-fat version to get the right consistency. :)

Food and Loathing May 11, 2013 at 9:46 pm

The kind of coconut milk that So Delicious Dairy-Free Coconut Milk is is NOT the right kind. That is coconut milk beverage, which is suitable for replacing dairy milk in any recipe or dish. What you want is a CAN of coconut milk, not the excellent coconut milk beverage. It’s not the same thing at all! :-)

Carrie May 12, 2013 at 4:18 am

Yes!!! Very astute comment, Melissa. I didn’t realize that some people might confuse coconut milk as a beverage with a can of coconut milk which is entirely different. I will make note of this in the recipe. Thank you!

luminousvegans May 11, 2013 at 5:59 am

Mmmm, this sounds delicious! I don’t have an ice cream maker so I might have to add this to my kitchen appliance “want” list.

Carrie May 11, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Thanks! I fully admit to being a bit of a “kitchen-appliance hoarder,” but an ice cream maker is worth its weight in gold. :)

Poppy May 11, 2013 at 6:42 am

This is brilliant! Just as were coming in to summer, healthy ‘n’ice cream is just what I need!

Carrie May 11, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Thanks, Poppy! Enjoy! :)

Joshua Parker May 11, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I love strawberry, vanilla bean, and heck, I loves ice cream. Everything I love all rolled into one. I definitely will have to try this.

Carrie May 11, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Thanks, Joshua, and enjoy! :)

Annie May 11, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Carrie, the color is lovely and the ingredients don’t scare me ;-)! Would love to scoop some up right now. Thank you for participating in the Potluck – hope to see you at November’s event!

Carrie May 11, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Thanks for creating and organizing such a fabulous event, Annie!

kimmythevegan May 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm

What a great potluck recipe! It has been pretty hot here, this nice cream sure would hit the spot =)

Corey May 11, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I thought I was going to have to send my ice cream maker into early retirement. It’s good to know there’s options!

Carrie May 11, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Oh yeah, keep that sucker around, vegan ice cream is the bomb! :)

Gabby @ the veggie nook May 11, 2013 at 5:49 pm

So simple and delicious, what a wonderful dish!

Happy potluck :)

Oly Jacobsen May 12, 2013 at 5:26 am

I have loved ice cream all my life, I’m so happy to be able to make a vegan one! I usually make nice cream with frozen bananas, that way I put it in the food processor and can eat it right away! Will make yours, Carrie, on a special occasion like my daughter’s birthday, I’m sure she will love it, since coconut ice cream is her favorite!

Carrie May 13, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for the comment, Oly! I think the coconut ice cream would be a wonderful special treat for your daughter’s birthday. Hugs!!!

Carmella May 12, 2013 at 9:07 am

And this is why I need to re-invest in an ice cream maker! This would amazing!

Patty May 12, 2013 at 7:06 pm

This is great Carrie! I might just have to get a nice cream maker now! Looks really yummy and not complicated. Right up my alley.

I have been thinking of making a few purchases to add to my kitchen and was wondering what your favorites are: pressure cooker; toaster oven; and good chef’s knife. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Carrie May 13, 2013 at 5:15 am

Hi Patty! That’s great you’re thinking of expanding your kitchen appliances. I don’t use a toaster oven, but I can recommend either the Cuisinart pressure cooker (electric, about $60) or the B/R/K stovetop set (over $150). However, I’d urge you to check out the book by Jill Nussinow called The New Fast Food because she is the pressure cooking expert! As far as a chef’s knife, I think it is more important that it is sharp than the brand. :)

Patty May 13, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Thanks, Carrie! I’m gonna check out those items! It’s always helpful when I know a like-minded freind who likes, or has tried, something. Chat soon!! xo

Cheerfully Vegan May 12, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I adore ice cream (vegan, of course) and coconut milk, so this sounds amazing. My freezer is a huge 4-at. one, so I’d have to make a huge amount. I’ll have to think on that one!

Treesa May 13, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Can’t wait to try this and put my ice cream maker into use. I think I may have used it twice since I got it. Time to right a wrong!

Starr May 13, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I love that you used dates to sweeten your “nice” cream! Looks delicious! :-)

Sofia May 13, 2013 at 11:04 pm

mmm this recipes sounds really good, would love to make this!

Sophie33 May 14, 2013 at 3:29 am

MMMM! A lovely vegan ice-cream that I make often! I must make your version too! :) Yummm: vegan power!

Maggie Muggins May 17, 2013 at 7:06 am

Oh my, oh my my my, this looks so creamy good! I never missed strawberry ice cream until seeing your pictures. Now if only I can find someone who has an ice cream maker I can commandeer :)

Carrie May 18, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Ha ha, thanks Maggie! This ice cream is definitely worth tracking down an ice cream maker to use. :)

Katie @ The Almost Vegan May 17, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I will definitely be making some “nice” cream! Glad you participated in VVP – it’s my second one and I just love it! Cheers!

Allison (Spontaneous Tomato) May 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I like your “nice” cream idea. I bet the strawberry/vanilla flavors go nicely with the coconut milk flavor, too! Yum. :)

spinachrevolution May 20, 2013 at 5:06 am

I agree, I really like the idea of calling it nice cream. I am a huge fan of blending bananas and berries together (raspberries being my favourite), but this really looks like it is a richer and more decadent way of doing it. I will definitely have to treat myself to it soon. Thank you.

Carrie May 20, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I also love blended frozen bananas and you are right, this coconut “nice” cream is a real indulgence. :)

Pamela June 6, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Thanks for the great recipe… I think Nice Cream is the best term yet. It makes people wonder why regular ice cream isn’t so nice. It also gives us an alternative to the awkward “frozen dessert” mouthful my spouse and I have been dealing with for the last ten vegan years!