Homemade Macadamia Nut Milk & Vegan Stuff

May 13, 2013

Okay, so it’s Monday again. Did you have a nice weekend? I loved participating in the Virtual Vegan Potluck this year (click here to see what I brought). I hope you got some inspiration for recipes; there will be another one in November!

Healthy Vegan Challenge:

Today marks week two of our six-week Healthy Vegan Challenge. You can still join the Facebook group here if you want more support. My Challenge is going a lot differently (and a lot better, I think) than the one from earlier this spring (you can see all the related posts here). I’m doing a little experimenting with intermittent fasting which is a huge change for me. I’ll write more about it on Wednesday.

I’m also making a concerted effort to make a meal plan each week to help me not over-purchase food. I finally made the connection that when I have too much food in the house, I feel compelled to eat it, whether I’m really hungry or not.

Here’s what my first attempt at a meal plan looked like. Golly, my handwriting is bad:

Carrie's handwritten meal plan.

Side note: you know how all the kids people under 30 keep all their information on their phones now? I am old-school; I only write notes on scraps of paper and post-its.

Macadamia Nut Milk:

So I was debating which recipe to share today, either my homemade macadamia nut milk or the Marionberry Ice Cream Pie I made yesterday. (How many of you are screaming at me, “Pie, Pie!!!” right now?)

I feel guilty for sharing so many desserts lately, like I am tempting you with too many treats, so I’m going to share my recipe for the nut milk:

Macadamia nut milk jug and pitcher.

Since it’s so easy to make, I’m going to consider this as part of my Homemade Vegan Series (see all of the posts so far here).

Macadamia nut milk doesn’t require straining which means it can be made in about 30 seconds in a high-speed blender like a Vitamix. The ingredients are simply mac nuts, water, vanilla extract, and dates.

Here’s the recipe:

This is a winner:

Homemade macadamia nut milk.

It will separate upon standing, though, so you just need to give it a little stir before serving. It will keep up to 3 days in the fridge.

I’ve been using this on everything, including a simple breakfast of fresh mango and dehydrated buckwheat groats:

Mango and dehydrated buckwheat groats topped with macadamia nut milk.

I also made Alan a dessert smoothie with it using frozen peaches and it works wonderfully in hot beverages, too.

This recipe is also available on my recipe app, Vegan Delish (get it here). Here is a screenshot of the iPad version:

Screenshot of iPad version of Mac Nut MIlk on Vegan Delish.

BlogHer Relationship:

I’m not sure if you’re noticed or not, but I recently became a publisher with the company, BlogHer. That means that I am now featuring ads in the sidebar of my blog (see it here). As my blog continues to grow (thank you!), it has gotten to the point where it would be nice to at least cover the costs of running it.

I did a lot of research before deciding to work with BlogHer. Turns out one of the co-founders is vegan and the company is very sensitive to having opt-outs for non-vegan friendly ads, so it seemed like the perfect fit for what I am doing here.

That being said, if you ever see anything that is offensive, do let me know (you can e-mail me at carrie on vegan @ gmail. com…no spaces).

Conclusion:

Again, thank you so much for reading, I can’t tell you how much it means to me to interact with you and get to know so many of you in this virtual community. I’ll be back here on Wednesday. Until then, please do keep in touch with me on my Facebook page, Twitter, or on Instagram! Here’s a little collage from my Instagram pics from this past weekend:

Carrie on Vegan Instagram pics

Karen May 13, 2013 at 10:08 am

How do you think the mac milk would be without the vanilla and dates? Have you tried it that way? I only ask because I’m experimenting with different nut, grain, and seed milks and prefer less sweet (if at all!).

Carrie May 13, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Hi Karen! Great question. Well, I haven’t tried the mac nut milk without the dates. I think considering how delicious the nuts are, though, that it would be great without the sweetness. Please do let me know if you try it.

Diane May 13, 2013 at 11:51 am

Perfect timing! I will for sure try this out — seems so quick and simple. Just yesterday I noticed, unexpectedly, that I was out of any sort of milk except a small 1 cup box of rice milk at the very back of the pantry — which was so out of sight that it was going to be there until well past the expiration date! Well, I found that disguarded gem and was able to complete the recipe that I was working with (Fuhrman’s Pineapple Cake — YUM!), but I would have liked a milk with a little more substance. The icing, though good, was a little runny because the rice milk was so thin. I always have a wide variety of nuts on hand, so this recipe will definitely be a handy one for me.

Carrie May 13, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Ha ha, that’s a great story, Diane. I’m glad to hear your cake turned out okay…phew!!! :) Yes, you should definitely try making your own nut milk, it’s soooo easy!

debbie May 13, 2013 at 3:23 pm

What a great idea this is. I’m a new vegan so discovering all this is so much fun. I had a food blog for several years but now have a vegan blog and I’m loving this!

Sandy May 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Glad I’m not the only old-school paper person still alive ;-)
I have scraps of paper everywhere too!

kimmythevegan May 13, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Mmmm yummy – sounds great! I love that you don’t have to strain it.
Ha – I still write things on actual paper. I like to physically write out my to-do lists and grocery lists, though I kinda feel like the only one ;p
Looks like you had a great weekend =)

Sarah May 14, 2013 at 7:41 am

I’m surprised that making nut milk is so easy! Maybe I’ll give it a try next time I run out of almond milk!

Christine (The Raw Project) May 14, 2013 at 8:03 am

Never tried macadamia milk, but it sounds amazing. I prefer milks that do not need straining and have been making a lot of hemp milk. And very interesting on BlogHer, I’ve been thinking about them too.

Carrie Dale May 14, 2013 at 11:26 am

I keep trying to make plant milks for my son and he always prefers the store bought ones (unsweetened soy and oat) — but he loved this one. Thanks!!!

Kerry Cloud-Pitt May 14, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I like your scrap-of-paper, chicken-scratch meal plan! I usually don’t do food plans because I over think them and think they need to be on some perfect, spread sheet-like document. I am working on letting go of the perfection that always freezes me in my tracks and your free form meal plan was an inspiration and a reminder that I keep it simple. ;)

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat May 17, 2013 at 4:14 am

I love making nut milks but have never tried macadamia. Guess what’s going on the shopping list right now! Would you come share this at Raw Foods Thursdays?

And I echo your sentiments about the online community. I am so thankful for my blogger and reader friends!! They truly enrich my life.

Heather

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat May 17, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Thanks so much for linking up! Sharing this on Facebook and Pinterest now! Can’t wait to try it.

Carrie May 18, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Thanks for the invite, Heather, and for the nice comment. :)

Chasity Grome May 17, 2013 at 6:22 am

Thanks for sharing this macadamia nut milk recipe! I made it and have been using it in my smoothies this week. I love that you don’t have to strain it and I also love how much cheaper it is to make than almond milk!

Carrie May 18, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Oh cool, so glad you like the mac milk, Chasity! I didn’t think about the cheaper cost until you mentioned it. Woo-hoo! :)

Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma) May 22, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Oh, I miss macadamia nuts! I haven’t had one in over 2 years! WIth the nut allergy in our house we certainly make changes. This looks amazing and I am living through you for the taste! YUMMMO Got it pinned and tweeted. Thanks for linking up at Gluten Free Fridays!