Summertime Healthy Vegan Recipes

August 2, 2013

August is the month that we traditionally spend the least amount of time in the kitchen. The long days of summer draw us outdoors and the simple deliciousness of eating unadulturated seasonal vegetables and fruit win over dishes that take more effort to prepare.

That said, I’m still looking for recipe inspiration. After my usual green smoothie for breakfast and simple salad for lunch, I enjoy having a “real” dinner. The dishes in this week’s Healthy Vegan Friday recipe link-up party certainly give me the motivation I need to get back in the kitchen and experiment. I hope you find inspiration here, too!

Here were the top three most liked recipes from last week’s submissions:

1. My 3 Favorite Ways to Eat Kale from My Healthy Chef:

My 3 Favorite Ways to Eat Kale from My Healthy Chef

2. 7 Whole Foods Pie-Inspired Smoothies from Practical Stewardship:

7 Whole Foods Pie-Inspired Smoothies from Practical Stewardship

3. Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Banana Pops from Coconut and Berries:

Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Banana Pops from Coconut and Berries

My Faves (all of these recipes are made using minimal oil, salt, or added sugars):

1. Most Creative Use of Zucchini - Raw Walnut Zucchini Crackers from The Taste Space:

Raw Walnut Zucchini Crackers from The Taste Space

2. Most Tempting Salad Dressing - Green Chile-Chipotle-Cilantro Dressing from An Unrefined Vegan:

Green Chile-Chipotle-Cilantro Dressing from An Unrefined Vegan

3. Best Hot Weather Dessert - Sugar Free Strawberry & Peach Ice Cream from Gluten Free & SCD Veggie:

Sugar Free Strawberry & Peach Ice Cream from GF SCD

Honorable Mentions:

1. Artichoke Basil Lentils from Strength and Sunshine:

Artichoke Basil Lentils from Strength and Sunshine

2. Carrot-Apple-Cocoa Cake with Cashew Orange Cream from Quick ‘n’ Healthy:

Carrot-Apple-Cocoa Cake with Cashew Orange Cream from Quick 'n' Healthy

Thank you to everyone who participated! If you want to add your healthy recipe to next week’s group, please scroll down to the end of this post and past the thumbnails where you’ll see the link to add yours.

And, just as a reminder, my co-hosts and I have switched to a system of “likes” to pick the top three submissions each week. You don’t need to register to vote, just check out the thumbnails and click on the ones you want to vote for (you can vote for as many as you wish, but you can only vote for a particular recipe one time).

My Schedule:

Since August is also a slow time for blogs, I’m going to go along with the trend and keep with my reduced publishing pace of twice a week for now. I miss sharing as much with you, but I’m using the extra time to building the recipe base of Vegan Delish before my classes start in September.

It is really an exciting time for Vegan Delish as I’ve started adding more and more recipes that I am hand-selecting from other trusted bloggers. Just this week, my friend and fellow blogger Gena Hamshaw from Choosing Raw contributed five gorgeous recipes to the app including her Almond Rosemary Crackers, Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins, Herbed Dill Cashew CheeseCarob Chia Pudding, and Raw Apple Flaxbread (unpictured):

Recipes from Choosing Raw contributed to Vegan Delish.

You can see them all in the “New Recipes” category of the app which you can download to your iPhone or iPad here. And, as mentioned, I’m very carefully adding recipes from other contributors. If you would like to submit a recipe for consideration, please e-mail me at carrie@vegandelish DOT com, but please note that recipes must be made from whole food ingredients and without a lot of oil, salt, or added sugars.

Conclusion:

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. My plans include a local art event, a community garage sale, a picnic at a local winery (I don’t drink, but I love the ambiance), a beach trip, and a visit to the farmers’ market. Sounds like the perfect summer weekend, don’t you think? Also, come Monday afternoon, I’ll be officially done with my master’s degree project. I plan to tell you all about it in my next blog post on Tuesday. Wish me luck on my presentation. :)

In the meantime, please connect with me on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram, or Google+ and don’t forget to help keep my blog going by downloading my recipe app, Vegan Delish, on the iTunes store here.

Kristina August 2, 2013 at 7:50 am

sounds like a fun and busy weekend! good luck with your presentation, I know you’ll be great!

those artichoke basil lentils sounds fantastic – looks like bowls we eat here all the time!

Carrie August 2, 2013 at 8:32 am

Thanks, Kristina. I hope you have a great weekend, too. P.S. Did you get the e-mail I sent you yesterday? :)

Sharlynn August 2, 2013 at 10:12 am

FYI, Carrie,
The new Vegan Delish upgrade crashes before it can fully load. Not sure if others are having the same trouble.

Carrie August 2, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Hi Sharlynn, there was a bug with the latest update (nooooo!), but if you delete the app and re-download it through the App Store, it will open correctly (there’s no charge to reload it). We will be fixing it ASAP! :)

Suzanne @ hello, veggy! August 2, 2013 at 10:55 am

Looking forward to the Vegan Delish giveaway next week, Carrie! Good luck with work (and try to fit in some play) this weekend!

Vicky August 2, 2013 at 10:57 am

Hi Carrie

Hope you’re doing well Carrie and thank you for the mention, so pleased you like the recipe! Wow! I’m going off to visit the other recipes now! So many great contributions this week :)

Carrie August 2, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Thanks, Vicky! :)

Robyn :) August 2, 2013 at 11:56 am

Good luck, Carrie!!!!

Carrie August 2, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Thanks Robyn! :)

Miachel (Spiced Curiosity) August 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Have fun this weekend! Your plans sound great. :D

I’m sharing Fig Mint Salad for today’s link – hope you enjoy.

TGIF!

Carrie August 2, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Have a great weekend, too, Miachel! :)

Devon August 2, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I like the healthy vegan fridays, but I’m at the point where I sort of wait for you to post which ones YOU like the best. So many of the entries are definitely NOT what a nutritarian considers healthy! Like a “sugar free” muffin with 1/3 cup honey? How is that “sugar free”?

Carrie August 3, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Hi Devon! I post my faves each week and they are all low in oils, salt, and added sugar.

Laura S August 2, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Hugs and cheers for your presentation and the culmination of a lot of hard work! Can’t wait to see what you have ahead of you on life’s path! Xoxoxoxo

Carrie August 3, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement, Laura! That means so much to me. Hope you are doing well! Xoxo back at you.

kimmythevegan August 2, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Mmmm look at all of those great looking healthy recipes!!!
It’s exciting that vegan delish is really getting built up and doing so well =)
Your weekend sounds just lovely – my kind of weekend (I don’t drink either, but it’s nice to enjoy the atmosphere of wineries).
Good luck on your presentation! Not that you’ll need it ;)

Carrie August 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Thanks, Kimmy! I’m super excited about the future of Vegan Delish, too. I’ll be even more excited when I finish my project on Monday. :)

Enjoy your weekend!!!

Jackie August 3, 2013 at 8:51 am

Good luck with your presentation. I don’t know how you do it- managing the blog, the recipe app, and school all at once while keeping such a positive attitude. Keep on rockin’ it, lady.

Carrie August 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Jackie. I feel so lucky to be able to do the things I love doing, so I guess that’s how I maintain the energy to do them. :)

Lilly August 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Carrie – I’m sending vibes your way for a terrific presentation. How exciting to finish that hard work. I remember how free it felt to realize – phew – that’s finished. Wishing you all the best!

Carrie August 3, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Thanks so much, Lilly!!! I’ve practiced my presentation a lot over the past few days so feel really ready to do it and be DONE with it! :)

Tami@NutmegNotebook August 4, 2013 at 6:36 am

I love these Friday posts and the wonderful variety of recipes to check out. Thanks for continuing to update your iPhone app – I’m loving all the new recipes.

Carrie August 4, 2013 at 7:04 am

You’re welcome, Tami! I’m glad you like the Friday posts. :)