Healthy Vegan Recipe Round-Up

August 9, 2013

Happy Healthy Vegan Friday to you!

What a week it’s been. I finished my master’s degree final project (thank you for all of your amazing comments) and released an update to Vegan Delish, my recipe app, only to have a a new software glitch emerge within minutes of publishing despite endless rounds of software development and testing and re-testing.

Can you say…ENORMOUS FREAKOUT?!?

Bad news: the updated app won’t work right now unless you delete it and re-load it (see below for steps how to do this).

Good news: the updated app will work once you do that AND we have a software fix coming soon.

Here’s the steps to delete and re-load (unless you are using a promo copy, then you won’t be charged to do this):

1. Find the app on your device and hold it down until it wiggles and a small ‘x’ appears:

Step one of re-loading.

2. Click on the ‘x’ and then “delete”:

Step 2 of re-loading.

3. Go to the App Store and search for Vegan Delish:

Step 3 of re-loading.

4. Reload it and the app will work as it should:

Step 4 of re-loading.

If you don’t want to go to all that trouble or if you are using a promo version, then you can just wait a few weeks for the next update with the fix. Apologies for any inconvenience and please know that several people are working very, very hard behind the scenes to resolve this.

Healthy Vegan Friday Recipes:

Now, onto the food! Thank you to everyone who participated in last week’s Healthy Vegan Friday recipe link-up (see the guidelines here). Each week, my co-hosts and I present to you the most “liked” recipes, plus some of our personal favorites. If you want to participate, just look for the thumbnails at the end of this post.

Overall Favorites:

1. Spanakoritso – Greek Spinach with Rice from The Fussiest Eater:

Spanakoritso - Greek Spinach with Rice from The Fussiest Eater

2. Curried Mango Chickpea Salad from Hello Veggy:

Curried Mango Chickpea Salad from Hello Veggy

3. Iron Packed Pesto and Parma-Nut Cheese from Hello Veggy:

Iron Packed Pesto and Parma-Nut Cheese from Hello Veggy

My Favorites (these recipes are all made with little to no salt, added sugars, or oils):

1. Best Summer Sandwich: Mexican Spiced Roasted Vegetable Sandwich from An Unrefined Vegan:

Mexican Spiced Roasted Vegetable Sandwich from An Unrefined Vegan

2. Prettiest (and Easiest!) DessertCherry Bomb Pie from Ves & Mork:

Cherry Bomb Pie from Ves & Mork

3. Best Ethnic DishIndian Lentils with Spinach (Dal Palak) from The Taste Space:

Indian Lentils with Spinach from The Taste Space

Honorable Mentions:

1. Carrot Cake Bites from Sometimes I Miss the Sky:

Carrot Cake Bites from Sometimes I Miss the Sky

2. Easiest Black Bean & Salsa Soup from Dancing Carrots:

Easiest Black Bean & Salsa Soup from Dancing Carrots

Don’t forget to vote for your favorite recipes using the thumbnails below.

Conclusion:

Can you believe we’re already approaching mid-August? I’m back at the beach where it’s actually cold during the summer. Believe it or not, but it often doesn’t get warm along the coast in California until September. I’m using the cooler weather to do a lot of walking and hiking, but with my warm sweatshirts and often a scarf or polar fleece hat:

Summer at the beach.

Even with no sun, I love getting the fresh air outdoors. My weekend plans include a hike with friends, a potluck, a trip to Costco, and maybe a farmers’ market or two. What are you doing for fun this summer?

I’ll be back next Tuesday with a brand new post. Until then, please connect with me on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram, or Google+ and don’t forget to help keep my blog going by downloading my recipe app, Vegan Delish, on the iTunes store here.

Thanks for reading!

Kristina August 9, 2013 at 7:36 am

ah – that photo at the beach looks like it could be Oregon! I love it when it is cold and overcast at the beach… and I love the hints of fall we are having here, still really hot during the days but mornings and evenings are cool, and *almost* smell like fall…

I keep meaning to email you – going to do that Right Now! :) Happy Friday!

Carrie August 9, 2013 at 8:26 am

Hi Kristina! I’d love to say I’ve seen hints of fall, but I know the summer is still coming to California coast. Looking forward to your e-mail. :)

janet @ the taste space August 9, 2013 at 7:47 am

*hug* It will be ok. Just a small blip. Enjoy your post-paper bliss, please. :)
(And thanks for the shout-out!)

Carrie August 9, 2013 at 8:27 am

Thanks, Janet! I’m actually handling the Vegan Delish software problem pretty well. And, I am reveling in my post-paper bliss for sure. I’m sleeping later, reading blogs, watching movies, and in general LOVING my extra free time. :) Have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your recipes each week.

Tami@NutmegNotebook August 9, 2013 at 8:36 am

I deleted and reloaded the app and it works just fine! I did a little write up on my blog today about Vegan Delish so be sure to stop by and check it out.

We don’t have any big plans for the weekend since we will be heading over to San Francisco mid week things will be low key for now.

It sounds like you have a well deserved wonderful relaxing weekend ahead. Enjoy!

Carrie August 9, 2013 at 11:36 am

Cool, thanks for letting me know, Tami! I’ll be in the Bay area next weekend, but I’m not sure if I’ll get to the city. Enjoy (and bring your sweatshirts there, too, right?). :)

Tami@NutmegNotebook August 9, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Oh yes, you always want to have layers for S.F. it can be so windy and once the sun goes down so does the temperature! I love it and can’t wait to walk around and try some vegan restaurants.

larry August 9, 2013 at 8:45 am

Come over to Florida! No sweats or hoodies here! lol Love all of your recipes and writings. It’s a challenge sometimes to change them up for a diabetic meal, but it works … I just do something other than the grains.

Carrie August 9, 2013 at 11:35 am

Thanks, Larry! I was in Florida last summer and I remember the heat and humidity. I think I’ll stick with my sweatshirt weather for now. :) Glad you like the recipes and can adapt them to your needs.

Emma August 9, 2013 at 11:39 am

HUGE congratulations on finishing your final project. What an achievement! Sorry to hear about the glitch with the app, but I’m sure it will be sorted in no time.
The top picks look delicious this week.

Annie August 9, 2013 at 12:43 pm

A big congrats on finishing your master’s degree project! What a relief that must be – and a wonderful sense of accomplishments.

So much mouthwatering food! Thank you so much for including my (very messy) sandwich!

Jennifer August 9, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Congrats on this accomplishment. That is a lot of hard work!

kimmythevegan August 9, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Ooh check out all of those great recipes!
Look at you braving the cold beach! Looks cloudy and cold. Yikes.
I will be checking out the Farmer’s Market too =) Like every Saturday – my favourite thing to do on Saturday mornings.
Have a great weekend Carrie =)

Trish @infinebalance August 10, 2013 at 4:46 am

Congrats on getting your masters done! Wow.
Adding my blueberry banana snack cake. Have a great weekend.

Corey August 10, 2013 at 4:49 am

Is that you iPhone with an Ubuntu background image? Sacrilege! ;)